Sunday, November 27, 2011

What there is to work with.

On to business currently I live on a piece of property that is surrounded on all sides by people. But the nice part is that the lot I live on is about .28 acres. Most all my research suggest that with only a quarter acre you can run a very successful urban farm.

Next I already have in place outdoor rabbit cages. The issue is that they are seasonal cages. So I will be getting a late start on mating the rabbits and I will have to slaughter them come winter. Some planning will have to come into play as to whether it is more worth my while to upgrade the cages or just come to terms with the fact that each year I need to start off with new stock.

I have two apple trees planted. But they are a minimum of 3 years away from producing fruit. If nothing else gets planted this summer I will at the very least put more apple trees in. The other soft fruit I planted this last summer was blueberries. I only planted one bush so this summer I will try and plant some more.

I already have a chicken tractor/coop just waiting for more chickens. But I have an opportunity this year to upgrade the chicken's living habitate. We had to buy a dog run this summer for the turkeys we had. But it looks like we don't want to deal with turkeys again so we are planning on using it for the chickens. The question now is how far will this up grade go, will we finally bridge the gap and make it so we can keep the chickens all year round?

Finally the garden. I tried hanging veggies and really liked it. So I'm going to expand that operation(I have already bought more buckets and the hooks to hang them). I have marked off plots for raspberries, rhubarb, TBD soft fruit, and a bathtub herb garden. I want to start putting in some raised garden plots but my wife has in years past fought me on this one. Of course I also have a compost bin and of course it just isn't cutting it so I will mostly have to get at least one more at the rate I'm going.

I have a good start already for next summer but as I like it there is plenty of room to grow and as long as I have the time I will be busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment