Friday, November 18, 2011

Building up slowly

I've been learning how to farm for sometime. When I was growing up I lived on a farm that had times of being very productive and time when the land when unused. Sadly I was very young when the farm was at the peak of its production. During this time most of the work was done by my sister who were older. So I didn't learn much about the finer parts of the running of a farm. But I learned the most importent lesson of all. I learned that animals need to serve a purpose. Dogs were for protection, horses were for heavy work, cows, chickens, pigs were food. I learned that if you wanted to you could pride for yourself and maybe it was a blessing that I wasn't more of an inteces part of the farming because I learned that it was fun. But when it was my turn to start doing more my sisters started to leave town to go off to college. That marked the end for the family farm. Not that I blame them, it is just fact we quickly stopped gardening and then we stopped raising animals. The final nail in the coffine of the family farm was my parents getting devoriced. Farming was the skill my dad had to teach but he left the farm before he taught me much.

But enough of the past. I moved on, I tried to do what I could at a scale that I was able to do (not much). But I kept trying to learn as much as I could I read a lot of books and talked to a lot of people (my job helped while an ambulance you always need something to strick up a conversion). After I graduated from college I decided to try and start up the farming again. Only problem was here I was stuck in the middle of an urban area. But that was going to stop me...but my wife would.

She didn't want me dig up our back yard to put in a garden. Luckly the ambulance company I work for had a plot they dug up but never used. So I took it over. I have been working it now for 6 years but than something CRAZY happened. Two years ago my wife looked at me and said "Lets go get some ducks"

I was blown away but I know the anwser "Lets go!!" Sadly the local Tractor Supply ran out of ducks. So we decided to get some chickens. It went great. We had 4 chickens that we grew into meat. This last summer my wife went really crazy. Four ducks, six chickens, four turkeys and 3 rabbits for breading. I think I have a woken something in my wife. This summer was awesome I learned a lot and enjoyed it even more. This summer was what lead me to want to go bigger for next summer. I also believe my kids will also be ready to do more with the Urban farm. The last six years has been a slow building process but now it's time to speed thing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment