Thursday, November 17, 2011

So where to go from here?

Well I"m all for having fun but first we have some work that needs to get done. In the U.P. of Michigan we have a very challanaging weather pattern our first hard frost come normally in Sept. and the last hard frost comes in late April so that is about 8 months give or take that it is near impossible to grow anything outside. Currently we have about 2 inches of snow on the ground and most people are happy that the snow took so long to come and stick. The only good part of the long winters up here is that it gives me plenty of time to plan and prepare for spring. Here is the list of everything that needs to get done before the snow melts.

First raise the funds needed to buy all the supplies. Currently I have figured out exactly how much that will be. I'm guessing somewhere in the range of $200-300. But seeing as I'm not sure what all I will need that number will go up.

So along with that I need to decide what all I want to have on my Urban farm next spring. I also have to make the tough call as to whether I should buy new, buy used, or just improvise (sometimes this last one is the most fun)

Next I have this little problem with local ordinases. It turns out that Uraban farming is no quit legal, in NO way is it illegal. It's just the ordinases are very out-dated and need updating. This will be a fight but it's one I'm willing to fight for other community member like me.

Next I have made it my goal I have to get indoor starts to work this year. For about 3 years in a row I have had all my indoor starts die or get infected with something. As a result I have had to run down to the local green house and spend more that I should to get starts from them.

I'm also hoping to get back to winemaking this winter. Along with that I want to try and make cheese. Crazy I know but you never know until you try right.

The finall thing (so far) is to get all the structures build and in place before the seasons start. This will take a bit of timing but I think I have it worked out.

So far that is the plan I'm going to fallow no dought it will change here soon like it always does.

No comments:

Post a Comment