Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Big Question..."Why"

Welcome! Currently this blog is going to used to fallow the life of a Yooper farmer. This is hard enough already (explained later) but what makes things even worst is that I'm one of the few Urban Yooper Farmers. That's right in a land filled with vacant land everywhere I'm stuck in one of the few concentrated towns. I very much want to move to a place with more space but this is what I got. I live in a place where if I throw I baseball I break a window, I get a package delivered the guy down the street knows before I do. Yes this is the last place you would expect to find a farmer. But here I am and will most likely be for years to come. So now for the big question WHY?

Urban farming is nothing new. It's last big hay day was in the 70s when we as Americans were in hard times. Many books came out on being more efficient. CF light-bulbs were the big thing in every thing from businesses to privet homes.The end of the world was coming...but it didn't. (Thank God)

Well we are back to those times. Life is rough, money is short, and people are looking for good ideas (not easier ones) to save money and to spend less. So here comes the old concepts  of the 1970s. But saving money and being more efficient isn't way I do Urban farming. Although if done right Urban farming can allow you to do this.

So next you must assume that I practice Urban farming because I believe the End of the World as We Know it is coming. Well I do think we are headed for some interesting times (Chinese Curse) That is not why I do Urban farming.

Next you would assume that I'm an organic freak that doesn't even trust the food you buy from organic food stores. Again you would be wrong. Although growing and raising your own food is a good why to know what you're getting, that isn't why I Urban Farm.

Finally you have to assume that I'm just weird or freak someone that is a little too friendly with plants and animals. Thank GOD your wrong there too.

So why the hell would I put myself through all this hard work, expense, pain, legal trouble (more on that later) and heart ache? Because I fully enjoy doing it!

I love growing my own food. There is nothing better that to have one tomato that grew from a whole row of plants and be able to hold it high and say "I grew this." I love looking into a freezer filled with meat and say because of my hard work I put this there. It would matter if I had 1,000 acres of land or just a window sill I would try and farm it. No matter why you think you need to be a farmer or an Urban Farmer the under lying reason you do any thing must be because you LOVE IT!!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment