Monday, December 12, 2011

Let's make this legal like!

As stated before Urban Farming is, well...fine it's not legal where I live. It was pointed out to me recently that I was miss reading a part of keeping farm animals ordinance and it turns out I live in R-2 district (completely illegal) not R-1 (shady illegal). So everything else has been put on hold. My first step to Urban Farming is to change the ordinances here. It has been an up hill battle until I finally heard back from the MSU-Extensions worker from my county. She provided me with a list of other cities that allow Urban Farming in Michigan and some of the ordinances of those cities. Needless to say writing the ordinance will be easy. I'm still unsure as to whether or not the board will go for it. I already have a go ahead from one of the trustees another one was rumored to be another secrete Urban Farmer like myself and I think I have one or two others that I can convinces. That is a majority for the board the only problem is that 2 of them member (and sadly strong voiced members) will defiantly say NO. My hope is that my voice will out win theirs and I will keep the majority on my side. So over the next two weeks I will be writing my draft of the ordinance. My goal is to present it in person to each of the board members in person in the new year and get on the agenda for the middle of Jan or the beginning of Feb.

So let the paper cuts, styes from computer screens, carpal tunnel, and info over load headaches begin!  

No comments:

Post a Comment