Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Here it is! How to build a Cider Press for $32.23

First and fore most what you need the most is helper (sons work great for this). It works even better if he loves the process of making apple cider but doesn't really like drinking it (leaves more for me).

Now lets get all the supplies together. Here is the list and prices I paid. My local hardware store has a scrap wood bin. It's all the left overs from in-house projects. The scraps are good quality at a GREAT price. Best source for cheap lumber for small projects. Here is the list,

1/2 x 4-1/2 inch Carrage Bolts (4 piece)  $6.99
1/2 inch Hex Nuts (4 piece) $1.96
High Density Black Acrylic $10.19
2x4 scraps $1.96
3/4"-2'x2' plywood $5.99
4"x4" scrap $2.45
1"x6"-8' $2.69
Random screws (Free! There in every shop.)

So here it is the heart of the machine. This frame is made of 4x4 post with 2x4 header and footer they are attached by mortise and tenon (of course). At this point you could save a lot of money and call it done. All you would need to add is some type of tray and a jack and you can start pressing. But lets improve on the design.

Now by adding a simple piece of plywood on the footer and an extra 2x4 at the header. With these simple additions we have strengthened the head and improved your work space.

Now by using the 1x6 we reenforce the work surface. 3/4" ply wood is extremely strong but by just adding few boards it's now close to bullet proof.

  Again the press could be called done but I wanted so style added to my press. I used the high density acrylic to line the work surface. This stuff is AWESOME. It is used in commercial grade kitchens as cutting boards. The stuff is tough and even a glass cutter had trouble even scratching the stuff (I had to us a table saw to cut it) But by adding it I made clean up easier, extraction smoother and will extend the life of the press (I hope). I add some channel arms to direct the flow of cider to one point. Than I finished it up by caulking all the seams.


Side View
 Front View












 Top (ish) view
The good thing about this design is you can use it for cider, cheese, grapes, or anything else that needs pressing. Enjoy

(Coming up to tomorrow I will post how to operate the press. Even I was REALLY impressed on how well and easy the press worked!)

No comments:

Post a Comment