Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Next Roud of Hard Cider is Almost Ready!

The batch has finished fermenting and in now bottled! I just have to wait for it to get conditioned (become carbonated). It is very tasty this time a little cloudy but I think that will settle after conditioning. (OK so the glass of hard cider makes the batch look REALLY cloudy but that is from the bottom of cask and I had to tilt it to pour it, so a BUNCH of treb came out. The stuff in the bottles is quit clear.)

The reason I didn't wait for the cider to totally clear is one of the ways I'm trouble shooting the last batch not being carbonated after conditioning. I think the last batch almost all the yeast died before I bottled the cider. Clouding in brewing normally mean your yeast is still a live OR it can mean you messed up. I was very careful so I'm ruling out messed up.

I know I had mentioned in an earlier post that I thought the problem of low to no carbonation was due to not enough priming sugar. Well I didn't increase my priming sugar. I only want to test one thing at at time and after re-looking at the last batch I think no having enough active yeast was more the problem than not having enough priming sugar. Time will tell.

Conditioning should be finished by Sunday so I will let you know after that if this batch is more carbonated and how the taste compares.

No comments:

Post a Comment