Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Oh no I'm going for nuts

So I picked up "The Backyard Homestead" Edited by Carleen Madigan a few months ago. Now normally I'm a hunt and peck reader but recently I have been forcing myself to read books cover to cover (one of the reasons it's taking me so long to finish this book). Well I was reading the book and came across the section on grow nuts and nut trees. I was going to skip it in hopes of finishing the book sooner but stuck to my original plan, and am I glad I did.

Grow nuts is AWESOME! It's something I have always known a bit about but when it was laid out in simple terms I'm really considering not planting the apple trees I wanted to and replacing them with Walnut trees. The trees get less pest/disease, the nuts need no prep to store just keep them dry, nuts hold more calories than fruit per pound, two trees give you more nuts than anyone family can really eat in a year, the nuts are multipurpose (gas mask filter, burn in fires, decorations, and more) and if all else fails Walnut wood is one of the most valuable woods for woodworking (one of my hobbies).

So nut trees just moved up in priority in the list of starters to buy and plant this spring. (Yes even before apple trees)

No comments:

Post a Comment