Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Oh compost where art thou

I know this was going to happen. I'm almost out of both of my compost. I have two different compost going right now. One really isn't compost it is more aged rabbit poop. Rabbit poop is like Miracle Grow Pellets, they slowly release food to the plants over time BUT unless they are aged the contain toxic levels (for plants) of ammonia and nitrogen. I have maybe a foot left of the aged rabbit poop (maybe). Next I have the filler compost pile, this is your dryer type compost. It is all the yard waste, leaves, sticks, grass and paper I find in my yard with a mix of the pine litter from the rabbits and chickens(used before I put them outside). Neither is very good as compost on its own but mixed with the natural soil and they are plant steroids.

Sadly I only have enough mix for the last raised plot :-(  Than means either I will have to buy dirt (defeating some of my purpose for doing this) or just grow in the natural soil (which will be depressing when not really grows in those areas.)

This is the hard part of trying to be in tune with nature she doesn't have ADD like me!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment